We have exactly 4 weeks until we jet off into the sunshine and I definitely have ‘The Fear’ setting in.
I am having to constantly make mental lists about what we still need to get done before we leave. Have I booked everything I was supposed to? Do we have all the documents we need? Have I arranged everything we need to keep us on the road as long as possible?
List upon list upon list upon list upon list upon list upon…aaarrghhh!!
At the end of the day we have our passports, we have our tickets, we have our visas, we have each other…what else do we realistically need? Or at least this is what I keep telling myself when I feel the world spinning precariously out of control!
With 4 weeks to go I thought it was time to post our last check list before we head off….and more for my own sanity so I can see it in black and white exactly what still needs done:
– UK Domestic Flights BOOKED! Although damn you Sleazyjet for having ridiculous flight times between here and Gatwick! (it does however mean a day in London!)
London Gatwick to Los Angeles flight BOOKED!
Los Angeles to Cancun return (We’ve actually decided to book this as a one way San Diego-Cancun) BOOKED!
– Cancun to Las Vegas to Oahu BOOKED!
Oahu to Auckland BOOKED!
4 night in Anarheim BOOKED!
4 nights in San Diego BOOKED!
1 Night LAX (before flying to Cancun) No longer required
– Rental property for Playa Del Carmen/Tulum BOOKED! We have found a fab loft apartment in Playa Del Carmen though AirBnB. (If you click this link you will receive a voucher code for $25/£13 discount off your next AirBnB stay!)
5 nights in Las Vegas BOOKED!
3-4 nights in Hawaii BOOKED, although we are now staying a week.
– First 7-10 nights in New Zealand….Not just yet….it is a work in progress!
Other Trip Essentials
Transport from LAX to Anaheim BOOKED!
Transport from Anaheim to San Diego BOOKED!
LAX to Las Vegas No longer needed as we’ll fly Cancun to Vegas
Park tickets for Disney (Sadly we can’t buy these until January!) BOOKED! Mickey Mouse here I come! 🙂
– Transport whilst in New Zealand (car or camper van?)…This one will depend upon where we work
Items to buy:
x 2 Back packs (wheeled of course…I don’t plan to slum it as much as that!) We have opted for these hybrid Osprey packs. Reviews will follow soon!
– New smaller laptop (can’t keep you all up to date on the road without one) We both opted for the Lenovo Yoga 500
– Extension cable (With all our tech we will definitely need more than plug) The Masterplug by Belkin is perfect
Additional external hard drive We’ve bought 2! A Samsung 1TB and a Samsung 2TB hard drive.
– Dry Sacks (for all our gear when we’re on the water) We’ve bought a 40l Karrimor and a 25l Karrimor dry bag.
– Suitable clothing One of my stresses is TOO much clothing!
– Get first aid kit together just call me Dr Boots!
Some type of travel safe? We have bit the bullet and bought the Pacsafe 12l Travel Safe.
Financial And Practical
Give my beloved Pablo The Polo back to the garage Sadly this has been done…Poor Pab’s!
– Traipse through all our belongings and sort into take with us, keep, sell, charity shop and bin …Almost there!
– Arrange travel insurance (especially important for Kris since he has quite a few ailments) We have bought through True Traveller. We will be writing a post on this soon
– Look for international sim cards I have bought a 3 mobile sim to use for the first few weeks until we get set up
– Set up new bank account/ credit card with zero fees for using abroad We decided against a bank account and instead have downloaded Revolut…post to follow!
– Set up Skype and patiently try to show our parents how to use it! I think we’re both putting this off to the last minute!
– Cancel our mobile phone contracts: TICK!
– Cancel Lauren’s contact lens and bulk buy an alternative : BIG TICK (I may also have purchased new glasses at the same time…wooooops!)
– Check we’re both up to date with all our vaccinations; In progress…come on…I hate needles!
– Get bulk prescriptions for our medications: Half way there!
– Quit our jobs! Both notices have been handed in 🙂
– Get our mobile phones unlocked and buy a cheapy one online to take to places you don’t want to flash a brand new iPhone around: I have just this minute bought a new phone for this purpose.
The Important Stuff
– Get Kris’s passport renewed: COMPLETE
– Apply for New Zealand work visas COMPLETE. Post to follow on the IEP New Zealand Visa Process for 30-35 year olds
– Apply for US ESTA’s online COMPLETE
– Double check all visa requirements for all other countries we’re visiting: I think we’re pretty good with this!
– Scan copies and store all documents securely. (Can anyone recommend the best ‘cloud’ type storage?) IN PROGRESS
– Get a stock of passport photos for visas on the road We have some for now but will pick up a few more
And last but not least…
– Arrange a leaving party/ ‘pre-ception’ before we leave. The ‘save the dates’ have went out and I should be getting is booked this week! Booked and paid for the week before we leave!
You know what guys….I think we might actually be just about ready….screw you The Fear!